Oahu Scuba Diving – General Dive FAQ
In an effort to provide as much information as possible, we have included answers to some of the more general questions we have received. Also be sure to check out our certification FAQs and Oahu scuba FAQs pages as well, and feel free to contact us anytime if you don’t see the answer to your question or would like more information.
- How long has Reef Pirates been in business? Reef Pirates began in 2005 as a very small dive operation. We have grown, but we are still focused on providing a high quality diving experience for our customers
- Do you have your own boat or rent space on other boats? YES – we own and operate our own 28′ dive boat.
- What should I bring with me? Swim suit, sun screen and a smile!
- Do I have to worry about sharks? You are more likely to be killed by your own pet or a falling coconut than by a shark, it’s just that falling coconuts don’t make for the best action/adventure/horror movies. If you are lucky enough to see one or more sharks during a dive, you are bound to come away with an entirely different feeling about these beautiful creatures.
- Why should we pick Reef Pirates over all the other shops? We believe the quality of service we offer is second to none. Additionally while many dive shops on Oahu are packing 20+ people (some 40+) on their boats, we only take 6 on our dive boat. We truly believe in quality over quantity. We understand we cannot please everyone, but it doesn’t stop us from trying. Check out some of the guest feedback and see what our divers have to say about their experiences with Reef Pirates. For more on what sets us apart from the rest, click here.
- What happens if it rains? Rain does not pose any problems. Lightning and on shore winds are a different matter. If conditions are not safe and we are forced to cancel, you are not charged and any payments made will be gladly refunded. We will do our best to notify you as soon as possible if weather will impede our dives.
- Do you guys do the manta ray night dives? No we do not as they are on a different island. Those dives take place on the big island of Hawaii (off the Kona coast). The Manta Ray night dives are great dives and highly recommended if you will be visiting the big island. We recommend Big Island Divers if you are headed that way!
- Should I make reservations? Yes, as we only take a maximum of six divers per trip, we highly recommend making reservations in advance.
- Can I dive with lava? The last lava flow on Oahu was over 70,000 years ago so I’m afraid not. However, you can dive in ancient craters and see the wonderful volcanic topography that created Oahu.
- What is included in the price? Your charter price includes all equipment (tanks, weights, wetsuit, mask, fins, regulator, and BCD), transportation to/from Waikiki and our shop in Hawaii Kai, fresh water and light snack about our boat, a US Coast Guard Licensed Captain and a PADI Licensed Guide/Instructor on all of your dives.
- What kind of discounts do you offer? If you are Active Duty U.S. Military we want to thank you by extending a $10 discount; please show your CAC along with your certification card at check in. We also offer a $15 discount if you have all of your own dive gear