Oahu Scuba Diving – Scuba Dive FAQ
Oahu Scuba Diving Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Reef Pirates prides itself on offering a truly one-of-a-kind Hawaiian scuba diving experience. Here are answers to some of the questions we get asked most often. If you have any questions that are not answered below, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Do you provide transportation? Reef Pirates Hawaii includes Complimentary round trip hotel transportation from Waikiki area hotels.
- Do you own / operate your own boat? Yes! We own and operate our own 28′ dive boat; the Hapa. She is rated for 12 plus crew however, we limit our charters to six divers or less to insure a better experience for our guests.
- What is your Cancellation Policy? We have a 48 hour cancellation policy for all dive charters and a 72 hour cancellation policy for all certification courses and private charters. No refunds will be given for failing to show up or cancelling within the 48 hour or 72 cancellation period nor will refunds be given for dives you cannot complete. HOWEVER, if Reef Pirates Hawaii cancels all or part of a charter (such as weather and sea related issues), you can reschedule your charter or we will refund all or part of your fare, as appropriate.
- Are your dives guided? All of our dives are guided by an experienced, licensed and insured PADI professional Instructor or Divemaster.
- Is scuba diving equipment provided? Yes, we provide all the scuba equipment you will need. We also offer $10 off our dive prices if you need ONLY tanks and weights.
- How long do the dives last? Times can vary quite a bit depending on depth and air consumption rates. You will always start with a full tank (filled to 3000 psi). Dives end when we reach our maximum allowable bottom time, or begin to run low on air (700-1000 psi). We do not set specific dive times unless we are required to because of depth restrictions.
- What type of equipment are you using / renting / selling? Reef Pirates uses Cressi BCDs and Atomic Regulators. We also partner with Oceanic and Sea Sports. If you are interested in purchasing dive gear we can either have it shipped directly to your home address (save on airline baggage fees!) or you can pick it up in our shop.
- Do you offer underwater photo packages? Yes, we do offer professional underwater photography services. For professionally edited digital photos with all the pictures of your dives and a print release, we charge $75. Your photos will be made available in a secure on-line folder where you can download or share with friends and family. Divers can of course bring their own cameras and take as many photos/videos as they like.
- Do you provide snacks or drinks on your dive charters? Yes, we do provide a complimentary light snack (pastry, pineapple, cookies, etc) and water on all our daily Oahu scuba diving trips.
- How many days a week do you offer diving trips? We operate 7 days a week and most holidays – we are also closed on the day of the Honolulu Marathon since the highway is shut down and make sit extremely difficult to access the Hawaii Kai area.
- How many people will I be diving with? We only take a maximum of six divers per dive trip, so there is never a crowd.
- What can I do about sea sickness? There are several steps you can take to avoid sea sickness. Products such as Dramamine and Bonine are designed to relieve motion sickness, however they also have side effects such as drowsiness. To avoid this, take one pill the night before you plan to dive, and another upon waking. Taking these products right before you get on the boat or when you start to feel sick will not help. Another alternative is Sea Bands. These are wrist bands that were designed to combat motion sickness by means of pressure points on your wrists. They have no side effects, and work for many people. You can find these products at most island drug stores. It is also a good idea to get plenty of rest and limit alcohol consumption and greasy foods prior to diving.