NO CROWDS - FRIENDLY DIVE STAFF - GREAT DIVE SITES - PERFECT SAFETY RECORD - FREE WAIKIKI SHUTTLE
Frequently Asked Questions - Oahu Scuba Certification Courses
To help you comparison shop, we've compiled a list of questions any potential scuba certification student should ask before making a reservation for a scuba certification course. There are a number of different scuba training organizations that a dive company can be affiliated with. Reef Pirates scuba certifications are all done through PADI (The world leader in diver education) and therefore are recognized and accepted worldwide. If you don't see the answer to your question below, don't hesitate to contact us.
1. How long does the open water scuba certification course last? Scuba certification is performance based, meaning there is no set amount of hours required for completion. You move from one level to the next during the scuba course at your own pace. You will find that most PADI scuba certification courses advertised are based around an estimated 3 day time frame for completion. For the average person, this is generally enough time, however we understand this may not be enough time for everyone, and can add additional days as needed. If you have completed the PADI Elearning course, the course can take as few as 2 days to complete. - We at Reef Pirates strongly suggest enrolling in our scuba certification course prior to coming to the island. Upon enrollment, we will send out a package to you including study material, course text book, etc.. Reading the text book and completing the knowledge reviews for each chapter prior to arrival, insures your not spending any of your vacation in your room studying. Our PADI Open Water scuba certification courses take 3 days to complete (as few as 2 days if you have completed the PADI Elearning course). Days last 4-5 hours each and we can schedule our scuba courses to accommodate your busy schedule.
2. How much does the scuba certification course cost? Low ball prices are designed for two reasons. To attract your attention, and to get you in the door. The hidden charges for the course, such as books and equipment rental, are conveniently never advertised. Look for an all inclusive scuba certification course experience. Remember, in the end, you get what you pay for. - Most of the dive companies on Oahu advertise a low rate but don't tell you the books are extra, or that the course will be done as beach dives, or you have to purchase a mask, snorkel and fins, etc. We do not!!! Our certification course prices include all scuba certification course material in our prices, as well as all gear needed to complete your Oahu scuba diving certification courses. Additionally, all our certification dives are boat dives! Their are NO hidden charges! Additionally we limit our boat to six divers or less, insuring more fun and a much better learning environment. keep our scuba class sizes small to ensure students get the best instruction possible. Choose Reef Pirates for a truly amazing Oahu scuba diving experience.
3. Will both the instructor and the student use similar equipment during the certification course? When both scuba instructor and student are using the same brand of scuba gear, and have similarly designed equipment configurations, it allows students to learn faster and easier, both in and out of the water, during the certification course. - We at Reef Pirates use only the latest scuba gear from Aqualung. Our scuba gear is in new or near new condition. Both you and your instructor will be wearing almost identical sets of scuba gear. We are not your average Oahu scuba diving company. We don't pack our classroom or our boat. Come see the difference with Reef Pirates.
4. Who is the scuba instructor? Our staff of Oahu scuba diving instructors are all PADI liscensed and insured, and have been instructing on the islands for a minimum of 1 year (some as many as 10 years!). We limit our groups to six divers or fewer and are proud to boast a perfect safety record.
5. How long is the PADI scuba certification good for? PADI scuba certifications are good for life, though we do recommend taking a refresher course if you have any long breaks between dives to refresh your dive skills.
6. Can I get a student discount after completing a certification course with Reef Pirates? Any reputable dive operation should give you a generous student discount towards future diving activities and/or scuba equipment purchases you make from them, in appreciation for taking their scuba certification course. - Reef Pirates offers a 10% discount on all future dive charters, certification courses and new equipment purchases for anyone completing one of our Oahu scuba diving certification courses or continuing scuba education courses. Choose Reef Pirates for all your Oahu scuba diving needs.
7. Are references available from the most recent students? Reef Pirates prides itself on being a more personal dive company. Check out our guest feedback page to see what our latest guests have to say about their experience with us. We realize though it may be impossible to please everyone, it is possible to try. Make your Oahu scuba diving adventure something special, let Reef Pirates Diving put together a scuba certification program for you.
8. Are the scuba instructors First Aid / CPR certified? In order to become a PADI Scuba instructor, one must complete the Rescue Diver certification. PADI requires current CPR/First Aid training for one to receive Rescue Diver certification. - Our PADI scuba instructors are not only First Aid/CPR certified, but are also First Aid/CPR Instructors.
9. If I decide after the first day that I don't want to continue, do I still have to pay for the whole course? No, we do offer a partial refund ($75 per day) in the unlikely event you decide not to continue the course.
10. How long does it take to get my certification card? It generally takes 3-5 weeks for you to receive your card in the mail, however you will be given proof of certification once you have completed the course. - If we file your paperwork electronically, you will also be in PADI's database within 72 hours (in most cases).
11. How much homework is involved? All PADI certification courses will have some required reading to complete. We highly recommend signing up for the course as early as possible so we can ship you the materials ahead of time. By getting the book work done prior to arriving, you will insure your vacation isn't spent reading a manual. - We now offer PADI Elearning, which can be done online before arriving. This option takes care of all the reading, academics and testing - leaving only the dives (i.e. the fun stuff) to do once you are here.
12. What is the minimum age to enroll is one of your Oahu scuba certification courses? The minimum age to enroll in a PADI certification courses is 10 years old. Children ages 10 - 15 will be issued a junior certification. It may be upgraded once the child turns 16 yeas of age. Per PADI regulations, children ages 10 and 11 are restricted to a maximum depth of 40'.
14. How deep are the training Dives for your open water certification course? Our open water certification dives take place at depth between 30 to 40'.
15. How long to the dives last and what can we expect to see during our training? Dives typically last between 30 - 45 minutes each depending on a persons air consumption rate. We visit some great dive sites so, you can expect to see lots of fish, eels and sea turtles during your training dives. - We do not limit your bottom time on our certification dives. We also make it a point to find the best dive sites available to insure your training is not only safe and educational, but FUN as well.